Monday, November 24, 2008

Pursuing Better Future


Marjane Satrapi's parents believe that it is better to send her to Europe for better education and better future. Marjane's parents realize that the social life and the education in Iran do not suit her both personality and thoughts. They are going to send her to Austria because it is easier to get an Austrian visa and because Marjane's mother's best friend lives in Vienna. Due to Marjane capability of speking French, her parents send her to a French school in Vienna, and she will go there by herself. Her parents have faith in her that she would be fine and had better future (Satrapi 147-153).

From this book, I relate my experience to Marjane's that having better education will lead us to better future. I know how she felt when her parents told her that how much they adored her, and they also told her not to forget where she came from. When I read this part, I suddenly remember what my father told me before I came to the United States. My father told me, " You are my golden child. All I ask you is please make me proud. Don't you ever give up on me". By the time I arrived, I really didn't know what to do. I never traveled alone in my whole live, and I had a very hard time since the first day in the United States. My freshmen year in Sacramento City College was a disaster. I got difficulties in socializing because I didn't speak English fluently. Worse, I know how the feeling of being discriminated due to our races. I was treated so badly by the Americans that I have bad impression about them. Not only did I get difficulties in socializing, but also in my studies. I was left behind due to lack of English language. I never realize that I would so many troubles that frustrated me. I was about to go back to Indonesia because I couldn't stand it any longer. However, I always tell myself that those days will help me to pursue better future. Now, I can see how those days work. I learned to never give up and to pick myself up whenever I fall. Those days had helped me to become a stronger and better person. I will never give up on my father and I will make him proud.

Work Cited:

Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis. New York: Pantheon, 2003

No comments: